Friday, March 7, 2008

Mango Sambar



I like the smell,colour and taste what not.....I love mango.

We have Mango fruit farm back in India.So every time we visit our grand parents home in summer, my granny makes this Mango sambar.She makes so delicious.

Of course copper or clay vessels they use will also add to the taste.I still try to match her.

Its very funny,the snow has not disappeared yet and they predicting more snow stromes ahead.But the mangoes have already come :-).I spoke with my mom the other day.They are still awaiting mangos this year.

All wee need

Mangoes - 2 (Riped)



Tamarind pulp - 1/2 Cup
Rice flour - 3 Tbsp
Turmeric - Pinch
Jaggery - Lemon size
Red chilli powder
Salt

For seasoning:

Oil
Mustards - 1 Tbsp
Hing - Pinch
Urad and chana dal - 1 Tbsp each

Method:

Chopp mangoes in to length wise and keep it aside.

Now heat oil ,once oil heats add mustards,hing,urad & chana dal.Once seeds start popping add Tamarind pulp.let it cook for 5 min.

Then add mango slices along with the seed,add 1 cup water and let it cook till mangos soften.(Don't Waite till seed softens,thats tooooooo much cooking :-)).

Mix little water with rice flour and pour this to the gravy without lumps.stir it thoroughly.

Add jaggery,Turmeric,chiili powder,salt and bring it to cook for 10 mins.

Enjoy tasty sambar with hot rice and spicy butter milk.

10 comments:

FH said...

OMG!! That's a lovely sambhar. Love those ripe mangoes too. My thatha grows few mango trees in between coconut and Sugarcane too, loved to eat fresh green mangoes with salt and chilli pd!:))

Cham said...

we make sambar with raw mango- but riped one looks cool too :)

Uma said...

Isn't it thiyya mamidi pulusu! I love it any time. So yummy! I also prepare it when we get ripe mangoes. Mmm. I can smell it. Good one Annu!

Anonymous said...

As cham said I also used to make raw mango sambar, but this one something diff and looks mouthwatering. Really missing those mangoes here. I wish I get some here.

Annu said...

Asha : Thanks Asha,U r rite even I like to eat green mangoes with salt and chilli pd.

Cham : Thanks Cham.

Uma: Ur rite it's thiyya mamidi pulusu.Its tastes awsome.

Shriya: Thanks shriya,Hope u get them soon goodluck :-)

DEEPA said...

Thats an excellent sambhar!!never tried this before !!!

Anonymous said...

hei...this is interesting :-)

Finla said...

Really delicious. I would also love them.

Dhivya said...

never made sambhar with ripe mango annu....i can smell those.pic looks delicious and yummy

Anonymous said...

Wow...great recipe of mangoes!!! I love mangoes.Never thought you could make a sambhar of ripe mangoes.Thanks for the recipe.Will definitely try this out.